Our Neurological team of medical, surgical and research Neuro specialists dedicated to the treatment of adult and paediatric patients with neurological and psychiatric disorders. The institute offers a disease-specific, patient-focused approach to care. Our unique, fully integrated model strengthens our current standard of care, allows us to measure quality and outcomes on a continual basis, and enhances our ability to conduct research.Our neurology, neurosurgery, and paediatric neurology and neurosurgery programs are forerunners in Chennai, Tamilnadu, India.
Our model allows patients to better access the care they need through specialized, multidisciplinary, disease-specific centres that integrate the expertise of neurologists, neurosurgeons, psychiatrists, psychologists, neuro-radiologistsand others into the comprehensive care of a single disease.
We provide care across the spectrum of neurological disorders,
The Neurosurgery service treats neurosurgical illnesses involving the brain, spinal cord and peripheral nerves including:
- Including primary and metastatic tumours of the brain, spine, and nerves
- Paediatric and adult epilepsy; headache, facial pain syndromes and associated disorders
- Movement disorders such as Parkinson's disease, essential tremor and dystonia
- Cerebral palsy and spasticity; hydrocephalus; metabolic and mitochondrial disease
- Fatal and neonatal neurological problems; multiple sclerosis
- Stroke, cerebral aneurysms, brain and spinal vascular malformations
- Carotid stenosis
- Intracranial atherosclerosis
- Nerve and muscle diseases
- Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, peripheral neuropathy, myasthenia gravis and myopathies
- Sleep disorders and mental/behavioural health disorders and chemical dependencies
The Department of Neurology is backed up by a full-fledged Clinical Neurophysiology Laboratory performing clinical investigations including, but not limited to:
- Brain tumours
- Spinal disorders
- Pain surgery
- Neuro-endocrinology (Pituitary Disorders)
- Functional Neurosurgery including movement disorders
- Nerve Conduction (NCS)
- Evoked Potential (EP)
- Video Electroencephalographwith prolonged Video EEG monitoring
The Clinical Neurophysiology Lab plays a vital role in diagnosis and treatment of various central nervous system diseases like demyelinating disorders, muscle and neuromuscular junction diseases like myopathies and myasthenia gravis as well as peripheral nerve diseases of various types. Evoked potential studies are useful in the diagnosis of various central and peripheral nervous system disorders. New tests like Vestibular Evoked Myogenic Potentials (VEMP) have been evolved and performed here. They are extremely useful in treating patients with vertigo and disorders of balance. Video EEG is extremely useful in the diagnosis, classification and planning treatment for various types of seizures.
Our Neurology unit is equipped as well with vascular ultrasound capable of performing Trans Cranial Doppler (TCD) study used in monitoring and treatment of patients with acute cerebrovascular disorders like ischemic stroke, TIA, intracerebral haemorrhage, subarachnoid haemorrhage and raised intracranial pressure following head trauma.