About Pediatric Intensive Care Unit-PICU
Dr.Kamakshi Memorial Hospital is the first of its kind to start the specialized and dedicated Pediatric Intensive Care Unit for the life support of the future generation of our country. It is the multi disciplinary unit which treats the infants, children and adolescents who are critically injured or ill.
We care for critically injured or ill children from new-borns to adolescents with vast number of conditions related to:
Our wide range of treatments offered include (but not limited to),
- Patients with congenital (from birth) heart disease
- Heart surgery
- Patients who need surgery for airway and lung problems
- General surgery
- Burns & plastics surgery
- Neonatal surgery
- Infectious diseases
- Invasive ventilation via endotracheal tube; both conventional and high-frequency ventilation available
- Non-invasive ventilation via mask or nasal prongs
- Inhaled nitric oxide for pulmonary hypertension
- Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation (ECMO) to provide cardiac support via modified cardiac bypass for post-operative cardiac surgical children
- Intracranial pressure monitoring
- Continuous electroencephalogram (EEG) monitoring
- Renal support by peritoneal dialysis or haemofiltration/haemodialysis
PICU nurses stay with our children and young people throughout their stay and constantly check the monitors and other equipment to make sure all is well. Once awake, the nurses will make sure your child is okay and administer any medicine needed if they are in pain.
We rely on the expertise of our ward pharmacists, physiotherapists, dietitians and other allied health professionals who contribute to patient care on PICU.
The PICU in KMH is designed based on the child-friendly environment. Parents of children on PICU are welcome to stay near their child, so that they can stay close to their children when the child is in the treatment. We will coordinate with child's family members and form family-centered team which supports the child health care.